Personal information is information or an opinion about you from which your identity is apparent. Protecting your privacy is fundamental to the way we do business. This document sets out the way we will collect, store, use and share your personal information. It will also provide you with information about what you can do to access the personal information we have about you, the way you can have it corrected, if necessary, and what steps you can take to complain about any action taken by us in relation to the information.
The legal framework under which we deal with your personal information is set out in the Privacy Act, the 13 Australian Privacy Principles (contained in Schedule 1 to the Privacy Act) and the Credit Reporting Privacy Code made under the Privacy Act. These rules apply to information about individuals, not corporations.
Why we collect personal information
We collect personal information so that we can:
- accept and process your application for a loan in accordance with the requirements by law;
- assess your personal and/or commercial creditworthiness;
- make a determination about the risk of you defaulting on your obligations to us;
- undertake, where appropriate, risk assessment and management involving securitisation, credit scoring, portfolio analysis, reporting and fraud prevention and claim recovery;
- if your application is successful, provide you with a loan and determine on what terms we will do so;
- manage your account with us;
- assist in the resolution of any dispute you have with us;
- provide you with information about other products or services we currently offer, or may offer in the future or are offered by our commercial partners, and
- satisfy an obligation we may have under the law to collect personal information or make assessments.
If you do not provide us with your personal information
If you do not provide us with your personal information or give us consent to collect it from others, we will be unable to, amongst other things, process your application and make the assessment that we are required to by law. We will therefore not be able to satisfy our obligations and will not be able to give you a loan.
Where do we get personal information form?
We obtain personal information from any of the following sources:-
- you in the process of your loan application or in other communication with you;
- publicly available information such as telephone directories, information on websites or from public databases such as the electoral roll;
- other credit providers from whom we request information;
- credit reporting bodies;
- persons or entities you have authorised to provide us with information;
- your use of our website with the aid of "cookies", and
- marketing companies from which we may acquire information in order that we may offer services to you.
Where we obtain personal information which we are either required to collect, or authorised to collect by law, we will advise you of that
"Sensitive information" is information about your racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of a political association, religious beliefs or affiliations, philosophical beliefs, membership of a professional or trade association or trade union, sexual preferences or practices, criminal record, health or genetic information.
We will not collect, use or disclose any sensitive information about you unless we have your specific consent, and it is necessary to undertake one of the functions referred to above.
Exchange of personal information
We may disclose your personal information to:-
- such credit reporting bodies, ratings agencies and any business which provide information about the credit worthiness of persons with whom we have a commercial arrangement (more detail about this appears below);
- other credit providers;
- personal and/or business referees nominated by you, including your employer (in relation to your employment status and income);
- our professional advisers, contractors and other service providers (eg. IT consultants);
- your legal and financial advisers (if any) if permitted by you;
- Centrelink, Australian Taxation Office or other Government departments, agencies or bodies, to whom we may be required by law to disclose information supplied by you to us;
- our contractors, agents and service providers (including debt collectors) in order that we may deal with you more efficiently or collect monies owing to us;
- our ASIC and OAIC approved external dispute resolution service;
- payment system operators (if any);
- our insurers, insurance underwriters/providers in relation to our insurance policies;
- entities who may purchase (or who may be interested in purchasing) any interest in the obligations you may owe us under the credit contract, and
entities (either credit licensees (credit providers or credit assistance providers) or lead providers) to whom we may sell your personal information for a fee. The credit licensees or lead providers may either provide a service to you themselves or on-sell your personal information to others on the same basis as your personal information is sold to them.